Tuesday, November 18, 2008

DIY Deity Jewelery: Necklaces- Part 1

Multi-Stranded Necklaces

These necklaces are easy to make and the technique can be modified to accommodate multiple strands, I have tried up to five strands simply add more needles. Additionally different beads can be used to create endless patterns.
Supplies:
1. Scissors
2. Sewing Thread (I find polyester thread works best for this technique as nylon beading thread is too stiff for this style)
3. Big Beads
4. Seed Beads
5. Extra Fine Beading Needles

Step 1: Cut two lengths of the sewing thread approximately 1m each, then String on one of he beading needles (the beading needles can be a bit difficult to thread, they often come with a ‘threader’ that makes the task a lot easier)onto each piece of thread. Next position the needle in the center of each thread. And tie all the ends together, resulting in two strands of double thread.

Step 2: Now we begin beading. First string on a few of your larger beads passing each bead through both needles. To begin the pattern string on the large bead through both needles followed by your desired pattern on each needle. For my pattern this means passing the large bead through both needles and two seed beds one big bead and two more seed beads on each needle followed by passing another big bead through both needles.
Step 3: Continue with the pattern until the desired length. In this case I had to modify the pattern a bit in the last link to create the length I required. Now you can make the pendant. For this string a big bead through both needles and then on each needle string two seed beads a big bed and another seed bead. Then pass you needles back through the pendant beads except the last seed bead (see step 3a above).

Step 4: Continue the pattern to make the second half of the necklace finishing off with the same number of big beads you began with and tie the two ends of the necklace together. Cut away the excess thread, optionally you can keep a little extra and use an incense stick to burn the ends of the tread to help keep your necklace together however be careful as if you burn too much your necklace will fall apart.
Here are some necklaces I made using this technique the pink and white one for my Govindaji was made using three needles and the green set for Chota Radha Gopinatha was made using four needles. Experiment with different strands and beads and you can create lots of different looks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haribol!
Those are really cute necklaces! I have to try it for my Deities for sure. Would you recommend trying this technique for bracelets or anklets also or does it not fall as nicely? Keep posting these tutorials, I really enjoy reading them and seeing what other devotees do to dress their Deities so nicely.

Ys,
Prema-Rupa dd

Vijay Teli said...

Haribol, I have used this technique for bracelets using wire instead of thread. (I have made some for my Radharani in this style but I find it works better for bigger deities.
The technique you would use would basically be the same as the "doubble stranded wire bracelets" I posted a while back.

PS your deities are are beautiful (I remember them from the arcana tribe) I love the outfits you make for them, can't wait to see part two of your dress making tutorial.
ys -Vijay.

Vaishnava seva dasa said...

Dear prabhu
PAMHO agtSP
Can you please contact me with regards to some service on:
vaishnavasevadasa@gmail.com
your servant
vaishnava seva dasa
http://btg.iskcondesiretree.info

Anonymous said...

haha, now that I think about it, it is like the double stranded bracelets, I was just thinking about the way it joins together at certain parts and drops down at the bottom of the necklace, I thought it would give it interesting variety. I will have to give it a try as a necklace and a bracelet.

Yes, I was wondering if you were the same person from tribe, its nice to see you are posting such nice tutorials on your blog for us all to learn from! I check back on the arcana tribe every now and then but it seems pretty dull. Your Deities are gorgeous! I can tell you take very good care of them.

I dunno how helpful my tutorial is, dressmaking is a broad subject in which I have no real knowledge of, just some speculation here and there.

your servant,
prema-rupa

Anonymous said...

Hare Krsna,
Thankyou so much for posting this. i just made 2 necklaces following the steps on ur blog. I am so happy finally i could make some jewelry for my Radha Shyamsundar. Kindly if u have more ideas and sesigns, post them. This is very helpful

your servant,
sitapriya dasi
(Atlanta, GA)

Vijay Teli said...

Thanks, I'm currently working on some new designs and hope to have posts ready soon.

Ashwini Kamath said...

Hare Krishna Prabhu

PAMHO
ALGTSP

I just loved your blog,being very useful for me regarding making jewelery..can you please tell me how to make turbans for gauranga-nitai,the dieites are small,may be they look like your dieites,the size..
ys-Ashwini